Enjoy a six-night homestay with the inviting members of FF Le Serena on this exciting Journey to Chile! Your host club will introduce you to all of their favorite local sites during your week of home-hosting, then you will go on to spend the following four nights getting to explore the breathtaking landscapes of the Atacama Desert!
Home Hospitality provided by the Friendship Force club of La Serena.
Live With a Local
- Get to know your host for a week in La Serena, who are very warm and welcoming
- Visit beautiful places with a Chilean point of view
- Try the Chilean Pisco Sour
- Welcome and farewell dinners with hosts
- Boat trip to Damas Island to view dolphins, sea lions, and penguins
- Stargaze at an observatory in the Elqui Valley
- Visit beach towns along the Pacific Coast
- The colonial city of La Serena with museums, markets, and parks
- The Atacama Desert region with its volcanoes, geysers, mountains, and salt lakes will include visits to Moon and Death Valleys, Atacama Salt Flats, Laguna Tebinquinche, a night time stargazing tour, hot springs, El Tatio Geysers, and Los Flamencos National Reserve
We loved meeting the Chilean club members and being able to live with our hosts for a week. We had many great conversations. The activities planned for us were all very enjoyable! - Ambassadors from FF Raleigh, North Carolina
Discover Chile with FF La Serena
12 Days / 11 Nights Program and Itinerary:
November 5, 2019 – November 16, 2019
Coordinator: Vicki Coulson Vance
All Friendship Force Itineraries are subject to change.
Nov. 5, 2019
Nov. 6, 2019
Airport transfer, fly to La Serena
Home hosts to meet ambassadors upon arrival at airport
Nov. 7, 2019
Visit Vicuña City & Mamalluca Observatory
Return to La Serena
Nov. 8, 2019
Bus trip to Coquimbo City and beaches
Lunch in Guanaqueros (El Suizo Restaurant)
Return to La Serena – dinner at home
Nov. 9, 2019
Bus & boat trip to Damas Island (87 miles) to observe sea lions, penguins, and dolphins
Lunch on the island or enroute
Return to La Serena
Nov. 10, 2019
City Tour of La Serena
Lunch at Club Social Restaurant
Plant Friendship Tree in Japanese Park
Good opportunity to treat your host to dinner
Nov. 11, 2019
Lunch on your own
Farewell dinner Bucanero Restaurant
Nov. 12, 2019
Depart for Atacama Desert, arrive late evening
Nov. 13, 2019
Tour to Valley of the Moon, Death Valley, Atacama Salt Flats
Nov. 14, 2019
Pre-dawn departure to the spectacular El Tatio Geyser field
Nov. 15, 2019
Full day tour to the Atacama Salt Flats and the Altiplano
Nov. 16, 2019
Depart for Calama airport, possible tour in the morning, if time permits
Red eye flights from Santiago
$4225 USDPrice Includes: FFI and host fees, four internal flights, six nights of homestay, four nights at an all-inclusive hotel in the Atacama Desert with all meals, guided tours, ground transportation, gratuities, and one night in a hotel upon arrival in Santiago, with ground transfer.
Not included is your international airfare to Santiago, travel insurance, free day activities, and personal expenses.
Wait list only
Know before you go
- Journey number 15243.
- Weather in La Serena should be pleasant with highs in the 60s (F), while the Atacama Desert will be very sunny with a low in the 70s (F) during the day and cold at night.
- Our meeting point will be at the hotel in Santiago on November 5th.
- All ambassadors should have good mobility for this Journey, particularly for the Atacama Desert activities.
Friendship Force International provides opportunities to explore new countries and cultures from the inside by bringing people together at the personal level. Through the signature program of home hospitality, local hosts welcome international visitors into their culture, sharing with them meals, conversation, and the best sights and experiences of their region.