Join this incredible Discovery Journey to Reykjavík, Iceland with high hopes of viewing the magnificent Northern Lights! With the small group size, you will really get to know your fellow ambassadors, and interaction with locals is an integral part of the adventure. We intend to cultivate these meetings with local professionals and tradesmen to create new Friendship Force clubs and members in Iceland where there have previously been none.
Though there is no home-hosting on this Journey, we intend to spread the FFI mission to cultivate Friendship Force clubs and members where there have previously been none.
Live With a Local
- Extra care has been given to the details of this Discovery-style Journey to ensure that interaction with locals is an integral part of the adventure. We intend to develop connections to build Friendship Force clubs in Iceland where there have previously been none. Specific local interactions planned are:
- Visiting a local Geothermal powered pizzeria and brewery visit, including pizza buffet and beer-tasting.
- Time with local rescue teams and sharing a meal to understand the demands of their jobs and the impact they have on the community.
- Visit a local farm, horticulture greenhouse and/or mushroom farmers' bistro for lunch on day three
- A highlight and top priority of the trip will be hunting for a viewing of the Northern Lights. This rare and marvelous event can be elusive and hard to come by. Though a sighting is never guaranteed and can fail to happen on any given trip, the itinerary has been built to maximize opportunities for a sighting. Ambassadors will enjoy watching the enchanting colorful lights and learn all about this amazing show from an expert guide.
- Jeep tour through the wonderful landscape of Hveragerði, possibly taking a relaxing bath in hot river, visit a lava cave, or power through the volcanic area in the SuperJeep.
- Relax at the Blue Lagoon Spa
- Free time and private walking tour of the capital city, Reykjavík
- Tour through the South Coast, visiting multiple areas such as: Lava Volcano Center, Seljalandsfoss waterfall, Skógar Museum and Waterfall, Vík cliffs, Reynisfjara black sand beach and more!
- Tour through the Golden Circle area, visiting multiple areas such as: Þingvellir National Park, Gullfoss Waterfall, Geysir Geothermal area and more!
You won't want to miss a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see some of the most incredible natural wonders this Earth has to offer. Experiencing the splendor of The Northern Lights is never a guarantee, of course, but there is no lack of divine enchantment to be found in any part of this icy wonderland. - Tracy Harrell, Journey Coordinator
Discover Iceland and Northern Lights
5 Days / 4 Nights Program and Itinerary:
November 1, 2018 – November 5, 2018
Coordinator: Tracy Harrell, FFI
All Friendship Force Itineraries are subject to change.
Nov. 1, 2018
Arrival to KEF airport
Blue Lagoon Spa
Transfer to Reykjavík City Hotel
Private walking tour with your history guide – talks can be about city history, financial
crisis or other subject matters
Overnight at the Fosshotel Barón
Nov. 2, 2018
Transfer to Hveragerði for an adventurous morning
Enjoy the Jeep tour through the wonderful landscape, possibly taking a relaxing bath
in hot river, visit a lava cave, or power through the volcanic area in the SuperJeep
At lunch time, visit a local Geothermally-powered brewery and pizzeria, for a pizza
buffet and beer-tasting alongside chats with the locals!
Free time before a Northern Lights hunt this evening if weather conditions allow
Overnight at Hotel Eldhestar
Nov. 3, 2018
Tour through the South Coast, visiting multiple areas such as:
Lava Volcano Center, Seljalandsfoss waterfall, Skógar Museum and Waterfall, Vík cliffs, Reynisfjara black sand beach and more!
Possible lunch at Hotel Anna, where
you can get more insight into lives of the locals “back in the old days”
Free time before a Northern Lights hunt this evening if weather conditions allow, if
not done the prior evening
Overnight at Hotel Eldhestar
Nov. 4, 2018
Tour through the Golden Circle area, visiting multiple areas such as:
Þingvellir National Park, Gullfoss waterfall, Geysir Geothermal area and more!
Visit a local farm, horticulture greenhouse and/or mushroom farmers’ bistro for lunch
Stop by to visit a cave, getting insight into where and how the most recent
Icelanders lived in the cave up until 1921
Overnight at Fosshotel Barón in Reykjavík
Nov. 5, 2018
Departure to KEF Airport
$3080 USDPrice Includes: Transfer from airport to hotel, Blue Lagoon Comfort Entry including use of Towel, Silica Mud Mask and first drink of your choice, Private Reykjavík City Walk guided tour, two nights standard category accommodation in Reykjavík City; including breakfast, two-night standard category accommodation in Hveragerði; including breakfast (private bathrooms), three-day privately guided tour including pickup and drop-off at accommodations, one evening of privately guided Northern Lights Hunting, local geothermally-powered pizzeria and brewery visit, including pizza buffet and beer-tasting, LAVA Iceland Volcano & Earthquake Center visit (exhibition and cinema), Laugarvatnshellar - Visit the Cave people, transfer to airport.
Know before you go
- Journey Number 14438
- There are two special additional lunch experiences that can be added, one day at Hotel Anna and the other day at Friðheimar or Flúðasveppir Horticulture/Farmers Bistro. The cost of for both totals about $135.00 USD. At Hotel Anna, you can get more insight into lives of the locals "back in the old days" and at Friðheimar or Flúðasveppir, you can meet the farmers responsible for the prepared lunch.
- Average temperatures in Iceland during this time of year are 40°F (4°C). Please pack warm clothes and prepare for colder weather. Hiking boots and comfortable layers are also recommended for the various activities included.
- The days will be filled with visits to farms, parks, natural wonders, and attractions. This itinerary will require lots of walking and at times walking on uneven or naturally occurring surfaces.
- Iceland typically only has about 5 hours of daylight during this time of year. These are optimal conditions for seeing the Northern Lights, but may require some adjustment.
- All tours listed are private and exclusive to FFI members on this trip. Special care has been given to keeping costs low. However, Iceland is largely an import economy causing price points to be higher.
Friendship Force International provides opportunities to explore new countries and cultures from the inside by bringing people together at the personal level. Through the signature program of home hospitality, local hosts welcome international visitors into their culture, sharing with them meals, conversation, and the best sights and experiences of their region.