This Journey follows New Zealand’s fault lines from Christchurch to Napier and will leave a lasting impression of how this nation has been formed. You will learn about the local geological features of these areas and do some earthquake-related sightseeing with experts in earthquake matters. You will learn how the earthquakes impacted the people and their cities, as well as how they influenced the changes made to future-proof buildings and infrastructures.
Home Hospitality provided by the Friendship Force clubs of Christchurch, Wellington, and Napier.
Live With a Local
- You will be hosted in Christchurch, Wellington, and Napier by FF members.
- The programme includes opportunities to meet other Friendship Force club members and local people.
- Visit Christchurch’s Quake City exhibition and interesting aspects of the rebuild
- Attend talks by earthquake experts
- Travel from Christchurch to Wellington via Kaikoura to see the impact of earthquakes in the area
- Go on guided tours of Wellington’s earthquake features and effects
- Visit the Wairarapa region and Pukaha Mount Bruce Wildlife Reserve
- Take tours of the impact of Napier’s 1931 earthquake and subsequent reconstruction in the Art Deco style
Unlike hotel-based travel, staying in people's homes gave me a better understanding of the culture. Though New Zealanders are not so very different from Americans, some very interesting cultural differences revealed themselves. - Friendship Force ambassador
Follow the Fault Line
21 Days / 20 Nights Program and Itinerary:
September 3, 2020 – September 23, 2020
Coordinator: Jan Harrison, FF Christchurch
All Friendship Force Itineraries are subject to change.
September 3, 2020
Arrive in Christchurch.
Pre-Journey night in a Christchurch hotel.
September 4-8, 2020
Ambassadors are picked up from hotel by hosts.
Spend five days with hosts from FF Christchurch.
September 9, 2020
Depart Christchurch in the morning for Kaikoura by bus, spending the night in Kaikoura.
September 10, 2020
Visit Kaikoura sites and spend a second night in Kaikoura.
September 11-16, 2020
Depart Kaikoura for Picton by bus, arriving around lunchtime.
Depart for Wellington on the Interislander ferry.
Ambassadors will be picked up by their hosts from FF Wellington and enjoy a six day homestay.
September 17-22, 2020
Depart Wellington for Napier by bus, arriving in the evening.
Ambassadors will be picked up by hosts and spend the following six days with FF Napier.
September 23, 2020
End of FF Global Themed Journey.
Ambassadors are free to make own arrangements for continued travel.
Know before you go
- Journey number 20180.
- September is spring in New Zealand. Temperatures range between -3 (at night) and 22°C, (27-72°F).
Friendship Force International provides opportunities to explore new countries and cultures from the inside by bringing people together at the personal level. Through the signature program of home hospitality, local hosts welcome international visitors into their culture, sharing with them meals, conversation, and the best sights and experiences of their region.