Enjoy the friendly hospitality of FF Fortaleza in Brazil, whose members will take you on a tour of Fortaleza to see its unique qualities as a city colonized by Europeans, but with a strong indigenous influence, affecting the cuisine, culture, language, and the habits of its people. Following that homestay, members of FF São Luís hope to provide ambassadors the opportunity to experience the natural beauty of Maranhão, São Luís, and Barreirinhas, with their stunning beaches, fascinating culture, delicious cuisine, and rich history.
Home Hospitality provided by the Friendship Force clubs of Fortaleza and São Luís, Brazil.
Live With a Local
- Attend Bumba Meu Boi, an interactive play deeply rooted in the culture of Brazil presenting a comedic Folklore story told through song and dance. The festival is a completely different experience with an extra dimension when watched with a local.
- Tours are amazingly personal, allowing us to obtain a really thorough understanding of the cities.
- Enjoy a beach day with your hosts where you will be able to relax, unwind, and get to know each other better in this beautiful natural setting.
- Lençóis Maranhenses National Park, a national park in Maranhão, with low, flat, occasionally flooded land, between large sand dunes
- Beautiful beaches in Fortaleza, including Canoa Quebrada and Morro Branco
- Cachaça Museum containing a vast collection of documents, pictures, bottles, barrels of spices, and maps pertaining to the distilled spirit
- A couple boat tours up area rivers
The Fortaleza Club was very well organized. They have beautiful beaches. All the food was outstanding, especially the fish. - Ambassador from FF Greater Omaha
Global Art and Bumba Meu Boi Festival in Brazil
15 Days / 14 Nights Program and Itinerary:
June 6, 2019 – June 20, 2019
Coordinator: Mary Jane DeVault, FF Greater Orlando
All Friendship Force Itineraries are subject to change.
June 6, 2019
Arrive in Fortaleza
Club members will be at the airport to welcome ambassadors
June 7, 2019
City tour by bus, lunch and transportation included
June 9, 2019
Tour to Canoa Quebrada and Morro Branco beaches with overnight in Canoa Quebrada, transport and hotel, included
June 10, 2019
Afternoon return from Canoa Quebrada
June 11, 2019
Visit to the Cachaça Museum
June 12, 2019
Cumbuco beach, transportation and lunch included
June 13, 2019
Departure from Fortaleza to São Luis
Arrival in São Luís
Group will be welcomed at the airport by the hosts, who will take them to lunch in their homes
Evening welcome dinner, included
June 14, 2019
City tour on foot through historic center, market, Lions Palace, museums
Lunch with dessert in Senac’s Restaurant, included; drinks not included
June 15, 2019
Visit to the Piranhenga Sítio
Lunch at Hotel Luzeiros, includes feijoada, mocotó, salads, desserts, and one caipirinha per person – other drinks not included
Night folk attractions (Bumba Meu Boi, Cacuriá, Tambor de Crioula)
June 16, 2019
Departure to Barreirinhas
Lunch at the Gaucho Restaurant, included
Check in at the hotel
Walk to the dunes/lagoons (included)
June 17, 2019
Included boat ride by the river Preguiças
Visit to the lighthouse of Mandacaru
Lunch at Caburé, included
Return to the hotel
June 18, 2019
Visit to the local fair
Return to São Luís
Hosts and ambassadors will decide about lunch plans, included
Night folk attractions (Bumba Meu Boi, Cacuriá, Tambour de Crioula)
June 19, 2019
Beach day with hosts
Everyone will meet at Araçagy beach
Lunch at the Cabana do Sol Restaurant on the coast, included
Late afternoon sunset on the spigot
Evening farewell dinner with everything included
June 20, 2019
Return of the ambassadors to their destinations
Depending on the time, lunch with the hosts
Ambassadors will be taken to the airport by their hosts
Know before you go
- Journey number 15108.
- The climate is warm, with average annual temperature of 26°C (79°F.)
- In Fortaleza, the weather is always hot and most of times sunny.
- Bring light clothes, sandals, and lots of sunscreen.
Friendship Force International provides opportunities to explore new countries and cultures from the inside by bringing people together at the personal level. Through the signature program of home hospitality, local hosts welcome international visitors into their culture, sharing with them meals, conversation, and the best sights and experiences of their region.