Join us for an opportunity to explore Turkey - urban and rural, medieval and modern - and enjoy lots of time for person-to-person interaction on this wonderful two-host-club Journey!
Provided by the Friendship Force club of Greater Izmir and Cankaya.
Live With a LocalIzmir:
- Attend a welcome lunch in the village of Tire.
- All meals during the day are eaten together and a wide range of Turkish cuisine is offered, including kebaps, a favorite meat dish.
- Enjoy a free day with hosts and a farewell party.
- Our hosts will take us on the high-speed train for a one-day drip to Konya, where we will experience the mystical Mevlana Whirling Dervishes.
- Izmir Archeology and Ethnography Museum
- The clock tower in the center of Izmir
- Ride the historic elevator for spectacular views of the city
- Go on a two-day excursion to Selcuk
- See the Virgin Mary’s House
- The ancient city of Ephesus - a wonderfully-preserved reminder of the past.
- Overnight stay at a hotel in Kusadasi
- Tour the seaside village Seferihisar
- Spend four days exploring Cankaya/Ankara
- Ataturk’s Mausoleum Anatolean Civilization Museum
- The agricultural town of Beypazan
- Cayirhan Bird Sanctuary
- The Cappadocia region, with ancient cave dwellings and underground cities.
- Optional sunrise balloon ride over the Cappadocia countryside.
This experience really helped us 'to promote global understanding across the barriers that separate people,' as we gained a greater understanding and awareness of Turkish culture and history and made wonderful new Turkish friends. - U.S. Ambassador
Greater Izmir and Cankaya, Turkey
14 Days / 13 Nights Program and Itinerary:
April 27, 2017 – May 11, 2017
Coordinator: Chuck Goldfarb, FF National Capital Area
All Friendship Force Itineraries are subject to change.
April 27 - Greater Izmir
Arrive in Izmir. Meet your home host at airport (flights required to arrive within a window of time for convenience of home hosts.)
Dinner with home hosts.
April 28 to May 4 - Greater Izmir
Seven-day homestay with Greater Izmir club.
A welcome lunch in the village of Tire.
Visits to the Izmir Archeology and Ethnography Museum, the clock tower in the center of Izmir, and a ride in the historic elevator for a view of the city.
Two-day excursion to Selcuk, the Virgin Mary’s House, and the ancient city of Ephesus, with an overnight stay at a hotel in Kusadasi.
A tour of the seaside village of Seferihisar.
A free day with hosts.
A farewell party.
May 4 to May 11 - Ankara
Seven-day homestay with Cankaya club.
Explore Cankaya/Ankara, visiting Ataturk’s Mausoleum, the Anatolian Civilization Museum, the agricultural town of Beypazan, and the Cayirhan Bird Sanctuary.
Our hosts will take us on the high-speed train for a one-day trip to Konya, where we will visit the Mevlana Museum and, if the train schedule permits, experience the mystical Mevlana Whirling Dervishes.
Two-day visit to the Cappadocia region, with an overnight hotel stay, exploring the unique terrain, ancient cave dwellings and churches, and underground cities, as well as hiking in the outdoors.
Option of taking a sunrise balloon ride over the Cappadocia countryside. * Extra cost of $225 USD per person.
Depart for home.
Continue on to Istanbul for optional four-day post-Journey extension.
OPTIONAL May 11 to May 15 - Istanbul
Four-day guided tour of Istanbul, led by an internationally acclaimed tour guide, that will visit the world-renowned sights and markets, but also explore less known parts of the city.
Stay at a hotel in the old quarter of Istanbul that is walking distance to many of the most famous sights.
Fee for this optional extension is $550 USD per person.
$1250 USDPrice Includes: FFI fees, host fees, hotel fees, most admission fees, domestic flights, buses, and trains in Turkey, and most meals. Add $220 USD for optional balloon ride in Cappadocia. Single supplements of $20 in Kusadasi, $20 in Cappadocia, and $150 in Istanbul.
Know before you go
- All ambassadors must be fully ambulatory and able to walk quickly when necessary to participate in this exchange. We will be exploring some rugged areas and we may encounter some spontaneous demonstrations. Ambassadors will be expected to navigate these without aid from hosts or other ambassadors.
- Weather is expected to be pleasant and sunny, but ambassadors should be prepared in case of rain with a rain jacket, a sun hat, and sunglasses.
- On Thursday, May 11th, we will take a domestic flight to Istanbul. There will be an optional four-day guided tour of Istanbul, staying at a hotel in the old quarter that is walking distance to many of the most famous tourist sights (though we will explore throughout the city). The cost of this extension is $550 USD.
Friendship Force International provides opportunities to explore new countries and cultures from the inside by bringing people together at the personal level. Through the signature program of home hospitality, local hosts welcome international visitors into their culture, sharing with them meals, conversation, and the best sights and experiences of their region.