Discover the Kenyan way of life while staying with your host family. Ambassadors will have the opportunity to discover Kenya accompanied by locals that love sharing their culture and showing their country. In Kenya, you come as a stranger and you leave as a friend!
Home Hospitality provided by the Friendship Force club of Nairobi.
Live With a Local
- Be hosted by your new Kenyan friends and travel to Mombasa in their company
- Welcome/farewell parties
- Visit the SOS Children's Orphanage and bring a smile to the children’s faces
- Visit a community facility
- Visit the David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage and learn about these beautiful animals
- Visit the Bomas of Kenya and experience the rich diversity of Kenyan traditional music and dance in our daily cultural performances
- Visit the Kazuri bead factory providing employment opportunities for disadvantaged members of Kenyan society, especially single mothers
- Mombasa with Fort Jesus and Old Town
- Kiambethu Tea Farm or Nairobi Museum
- Great Rift Escarpment
- Village Market
- David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage
- Kazuri Beads factory
- Bomas of Kenya with traditional dances and music performances
- Utamaduni Craft center
I learned so much on this Journey and loved the people and their hospitality best of all. The host club, Nairobi, did a great job sharing their combined cultures and heritage with us while ensuring our safety at all times. - Ambassador on Discover Kenya Journey
Jewels of Kenya
11 Days / 10 Nights Program and Itinerary:
October 24, 2019 – November 3, 2019
Coordinator: Shirley Hauck, FF Whidbey Island
All Friendship Force Itineraries are subject to change.
Oct. 24, 2019
Hosts pick ambassadors from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport as they arrive
All officials will be at the airport until the last ambassador arrival
Oct. 25, 2019
Forex Bureau – change money
American Embassy Memorial Park
City Bus Tour
Oct. 26, 2019
David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage
Bomas of Kenya
Oct. 27, 2019
Trains departs for Mombasa
Arrival in Mombasa
Oct. 28, 2019
Visit SOS Children Orphanage
Tour Fort Jesus
Tour Old Mombasa Town
Tour Mombasa Modern City
Back to the hotel
Ambassadors can choose to take a glass boat ride for snorkeling in the ocean (for a fee), swim in the warm soothing waters of the Indian ocean or the swimming pool, or take a beach walk
Oct. 29, 2019
Watamu Marine Park tour or Kipepeo & Gede Ruins
Back to the hotel
Oct. 30, 2019
Ambassadors free day at the hotel
Enjoy the gym, swim in the sea, go surfing, snorkeling, sun-bathing, or just relaxing on the white silver sands of Mombasa
Oct. 31, 2019
Departure to Nairobi
Hosts take ambassadors home
Nov. 1, 2019
Ambassadors picked at Capital Centre
Tour of Kiambethu Tea Farm or Nairobi National Museum of Kenya
Nov. 2, 2019
David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage
Kazuri Bead factory (Home to Ten Thousand Villages)
Lunch at Utamaduni (Cultural) Restaurant
Nov. 3 to 10, 2019 - OPTIONAL
The safari will take you to the best places in Kenya where you will enjoy game viewing.
Every day you will look for emblematic animals such as elephants, antelopes, zebras, rhinos, giraffes, big cats, and much more.
You will also see some of the stunning lakeshore fauna of Lake Nakuru, including 400 different bird species including flamingos, egrets, or Marabou Storks.
You will have the opportunity to visit a village of the Masai Mara people (extra fee) to learn about their culture, and witness the singing and dancing that is part of their daily life.
The host club will see you again for a post-safari lunch at The Carnivore Restaurant on Nov. 10, to hear about your experiences!
$1579 USDPrice Includes: FFI and host fees, transfer upon arrival, five-night homestay, welcome & farewell parties, return train fares from Nairobi to Mombasa, four nights half board in a 5-star hotel (local rating) in Mombasa - sharing of a double room, two lunches in Mombasa, and drinking water throughout. Visits and activities as per the itinerary.
Know before you go
- Journey Number 15452.
- Optional safari extension: 8 days and 7 nights in Nairobi, Amboseli National Park, Aberdare National Park, Lake Nakuru National Park & Masai Mara National Park. Cost of this extension is $1659. (Single accommodation is an additional $280). See itinerary for details.
- Traffic can be very heavy in Nairobi and traffic jams are a frequent occurrence. Ambassadors may spend several hours on the bus traveling from one place to another (coaches are usually equipped with AC but this cannot be guaranteed). Remember that your new Kenyan Friends have to deal with these conditions on a daily basis, please try to be understanding and flexible, keep an open-mind and in the meantime, watch life go by in the streets!
- Cancellation fees may apply after confirmation of your participation. This is due to accommodations being booked in advance in Mombasa and for the safari - the tour company may charge a cancellation fee due to the high season in Kenya.
Friendship Force International provides opportunities to explore new countries and cultures from the inside by bringing people together at the personal level. Through the signature program of home hospitality, local hosts welcome international visitors into their culture, sharing with them meals, conversation, and the best sights and experiences of their region.